My Theory of Writing

The short essay below includes my thoughts and feelings about what writing means to me.

My Theory of Writing.

Throught my years of education, reading and writing have been my weakest and most disliked subject. It might be because I was forced to choose books from specific genres that do not interest me. It might have also been the numerous book reports I had to write and summarize the book I read. If writing out summaries of a book, or a topic of no interest, it is pointless to me and seen as a waste of time. I understand that the basics of formulating a well-written email, and how one speaks is important when making a good first impression, or trying to get hired for a job. Everything else to me is tedious. Especially now with technology and apps like Grammarly to revise and write the paper for you. What is the point?

Senior year of high school was the one year you were allowed to pick your classes. Unfortunately, English was mandatory and I was unable to opt out. There was AP English, which my guidance counselour swore I should enroll because my grades were amazing. I fought her on that telling her I refused to put myself through that horror. Sci-fi was another option, unfortunately, I love the movies more than I do reading and analyzing them. Creative writing, a course to express oneself and make up stories! For someone who dislikes writing and has to be creative with it would definitely be a hard course to pass for me. I express myself through painting, not words.  My last option was just another basic English class, which I actually enjoyed. It was a book club type of class, I got to choose which book I wanted and we would discuss in groups. That year I actually expressed emotion and connected with the novels. Being happy with an English course for once in my life made it much easier to write with a flow instead of a block.

When I am given a deadline, I plan what I need to do and when ahead of time. I like to have a draft so I can edit and be done with any assignment a week early because I do not like to wait last minute and hand in something sloppy. Even though I dislike writing papers I like having a free agenda, which is my motivation for getting things done. The in-class assignments are what bother me because they are tedious assignments in the end to me personally. What writing will help me achieve in the end is conducting a work-related email to sound professional. Well written research papers in grad school. With whatever profession I decide communication is not something easy to escape or finding the easier route. As much as I despise the subject, it will benefit me in the end. I have noticed an increase in my grammar and ability to formulate stronger essays when I apply myself.